Re: a question about chemistry and septic tanks

From: Bill Marsh (redcloud54@earthlink.net)
Date: 06/16/03-10:35:33 AM Z

Devra,

I was once told by Kodak, in response to the very same
question, that most of their chems are biodegradable within
24 hours, especially the developers. They recommended that
developer be neutralized by stop bath before dumping. Some
caveats they threw in were fixer (laden with silver salts)
and selenium toner, neither being damaging to septic tanks
but capable of depositing heavy metals in the environment.
I always tried to reclaim the silver from used fixer and
collected old selenium toner in jugs for disposal at a
nearby university's toxic collection site.

As for alt processes, I once killed a septic tank using
potassium oxalate developer for platinum. Had to have it
pumped out and "restarted." Ammonium citrate did not have
this effect.

Kodak has a pamphlet they send out on this topic, and it may
have changed considerably since I asked for one. You should
seek out the latest info from them. We are in a fairly
toxic endeavor in photography, and I'm sure you'll get lots
of conflicting advice on this subject.

Bill