RE: matting and framing theory.. How to do it?

From: Jeff Buckels (jeffbuck@swcp.com)
Date: 06/29/03-09:32:27 AM Z

Well, here's one approach that I've seen around, I guess, but maybe just
in pictures.. What about you mat the photo "like usual" (natural white
mat over b+w photo or similar approach), then you place that assembly on
a much larger mid-gray/blue/green etc. mat. Then the white wall behind
is kind of taken out of it. I mean, this is just double-matting, I
don't imagine I'm inventing the wheel here. But a big thick outside
mat. You know, you got a 5x7 vertical portrait in a 11x14 white mat
surrounded by a 16x20 (or something) mid-green border. And that's on
your white gallery wall (I think there must be a federal regulation or
something that prohibits galleries from painting their walls any other
color). -jb