Re: platinum questions

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 03/03/03-03:59:38 PM Z

Kerik,
     Thanks so much for the quick reply.
> > 1. Why do most people use a bit more of the metal salts than the parts
> > A/B combination? e.g.44/46 drops Part A+B/Part C instead of 44/44?
>
> To my knowledge, most people don't do this. "Most people" use equal
> amounts. In reality, if you made a print with 44/46 and a print with
44/44
> you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. That amount of difference is
> insignificant.
     This is interesting, but you wouldn't believe the books that have the
44/46 amount (or 21/22) including James and Crawford and Nadeau.

> > 2. Why does a line of demarcation occur with developing if you don't
> > submerge the print in the developer evenly, if it is a develop-to-
> > completion process?
>
> I think there is a bit of old wives' tale going on with this. I've read
> and heard the same thing several times. I've been teaching platinum
> printing for 6+ years now. Beginners often have a little difficulty
> getting the print submerged completely on their first try. I've never
seen
> a demarcation line remain on a finished print.

Now I feel better--it didn't make sense to me.

> > 3. I am getting so screwed up by the different proportions of chemicals
> > in the developers and clears. Is it really that variably OK?
>
> Yes, it is. I routinely use Kodak Hypoclear at regular working strength.
> Or, 1 tbsp of EDTA and 1 tbsp sodium sulfite per liter. I rarely clear
> with acids unless a paper is stubborn to clear. And then I use a 4%
citric
> acid bath. I never use HCl or phosphoric any more.

 Good. Do you know if a paper is stubborn to clear by just an eyeball test,
in other words, by if there is still yellow remaining? Or could there be
iron salts still lurking without being visible? Does the platinum if left
in the paper degrade over time? I heard citric doesn't work for some
papers, so I guess my overall question is, can you trust your eyes?
Chris