Re: One bomb could do all that... PEACE... COMPASSION

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 03/04/03-03:59:23 AM Z

There is another school of thought that believes that 1984 came largely
out of Orwell's experience of working at the BBC during the Second World
War, and dealing with its bureaucracy. When I first read it in the
fifties, we saw it mainly in terms of the cold war, and probably thought
more about Stalin and McCarthy than Hitler.

Incidently there was a rather nice radio play I heard last month around
the (fictional) finding of an old tape during a clear out at the BBC, of a
conversation between Orwell and poet Louis McNeice (probably best known
for his poem 'Bagpipe Music'
http://perso.wanadoo.es/joan-navarro/tigre/tigre5/macneice.htm ),
apparently covertly recorded when they met and talked early one morning in
a basement toilet in the BBC at some time during the war.

The tenuous link back to alt-photo that has been eluding me, is that
around twenty years ago I took part in a show (one of several) that
included work by two names that will be familiar to many here, Randall
Webb and Terry King, both using alt processes. One of the pieces that
Randall showed was accompanied by a quotation from 'Bagpipe Music'.

Regards,

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com