Re: One bomb could do all that... PEACE... COMPASSION

From: Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Date: 03/03/03-11:02:18 PM Z

Mon, 3 Mar 2003, John Glen wrote:

=== some deleted: snip%<

> Yes and it is a shame that we don't all have to see
> the images of what we have done. Right or Wrong, we
> need to know what we have done to a lot of innocent
> people in the name and deed of stopping a war we did
> not ask for.
>
> 3.
> Richard, I think I recall some censorship issue about
> an exhibition of these kind of pictures (atomic bomb)
> in the US a few years ago... perhaps the Smithsonian
> or some such similar place... While there was talk of
> censorship not being involved, that is for you to
> decide. Many Japanese (or nisei) felt otherwise.

I'm not sure if alt-photo is the place for this very interesting
discussion (I'm trying to be good) - perhaps this discussion should be
moved over to the photohistory list?

Eric Barnouw (1908-2001) made a film using film footage that had been
classified after it was confiscated from the Japanese by the U.S.
Military (Barnouw. HIROSHIMA NAGASAKI 1945). If you want to see
something horrible and sad..... I would have to go back and check my
notes, but it is my recollection that Barnouw had great difficulty
getting the footage. Also, by my recollection, Barnouw said that most
of film footage and still photographs taken after we dropped "weapons
of mass destruction" on Japan are still classified. Barnouw was an
extraordinary researcher and I'm sure you could find a description of
his experience with Hiroshima Nagasaki material in print somewhere.

-greg schmitz

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

                        --Albert Einstein