Re: Digital Negative & Piezography NEWS

From: H. Lee Pratt (squnch@cox.net)
Date: 03/04/03-11:40:13 AM Z

Hello Joe Tait,

It may have been my posting about digital negs with a reference to Dan
Burkholder's site that you saw.

Basically, I've started making DCNs (Digital Contact Negatives, as I
think of them) using Piezography BW on an Epson 3000. The trick is to
use Pictorico OHP Film for your film. The Epson film I tried did not
work, although they may have changed since I tried it.

I simply get my image tweaked in Photoshop until it looks right on the
screen, invert it and print it. I've then been printing on Azo contact
paper, #2 graded. The results are glorious. I haven't done a lot of
these yet, but I'm convinced the basic method is sound.

If you print to a continuous tone material like Azo or an enlarging
paper, you won't need any of Dan's "warping" curves to suit your
negative to lithographic film.

Handle Pictorico OHP with great care: the "emulsion" side scratches if
you look at it cross-eyed.

Lee Pratt

On Monday, March 3, 2003, at 10:36 AM, Joe Tait wrote:

> I know others here use Piezography on Epsons to do B&W prints, but I
> haven't
> heard anything on using them for diginegs except a passing reference
> on Dan
> Burkholder's website (which was positive I recall). Anyone care to
> share
> experience?
>
> I am kind of excited at the possibility because Jon Cone today
> announced a
> system for Canon printers with "from the ground up" reformulated
> PiezoTone inks
> for Canon printers
> (http://www.piezography.com/media/PMA-2003-Media-Kit.pdf).
>
> What sounds like exceptionally good news is that the inkset is
> designed to be
> able to print on glossy coated paper, which to me means a higher
> likelihood of
> compatibility with trans material. I have seen some Peizo prints and I
> think
> they look great and the _almost_ continous-tone was refreshing
> compared to the
> apparent dither and banding I have seen on all close examination of
> any inkjet
> print. I have seen that translate into prints with my initial trials
> on using
> spectral negs on a Canon S9000, so I am eagerly looking at this
> potential
> improvement.
>
> -Joe

H. Lee Pratt