Re: gum printing

bi3@georgetown.edu
Date: 03/04/03-03:53:12 PM Z

I was away from home (and e-mail) when Christina asked about
photographers who make gum prints. I see Katharine mentioned my
name, so I thought I should weigh in with a few comments.
I enjoy reading the various posts about gum on the List. My own working
in the medium is very straightforward. I use mostly Rives BFK, without
soaking or sizing. I use a 2.5 % solution of potassium dichromate in a
ratio of about 1:1 with gum arabic. (The lower concentration of
dichromate was given by someone on the List several years ago, and I
figured it was cheaper and better for the environment.) I use tube
pigments (various brands), but don't weigh it, just judge the amount by
eye. I only print by sun.

Most of my gum work uses two or more colors and is often gum
combined with cyanotype or Van Dyke. The prints made from
camera-produced negatives are for the most part 5x8" with some 4x5" and
a few 8x10". However, I often use cliche verre glass negatives and the
prints from these can be any size or shape. I like trying out new ideas
as I print; I enjoy the surprises.

I don't have a web page, but I see from Darryl's message that he still
has up the page on the Gum exhibit he had a couple years ago. The work
I had in that exhibit can be seen at
http://www.darrylbaird.com/All_Gum_Site/Izzo/Izzo.html
At least on my monitor, some of the colors are not true to the prints
and one is shown oriented sidewise, but it might give an idea of my
work.

Suzanne Izzo