RE: varnishing gum, arcane info

From: Ken Watson (watsok@frii.com)
Date: 03/05/03-03:10:25 PM Z

Most varnishes have a few common components. A solvent, the dissolved
material " varnish" , and an added substance that allows the material to be
somewhat flexible after the solvent has dried to prevent cracking. Alcohol
is a common solvent for may things, including early furniture varnishes.
Glycerin and castor oil you mention below are most likely what gives the
film it's flexibility. Lavender oil has also been used in the past...I
suspect corn oil, peanut oil or other oils would work similarly. Today we
can see that the early formulations have tended to darken over time.