lets make this clear(was re success !)

From: pete (temperaprint@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 03/07/03-11:06:55 AM Z

Hi,fellow paperstainers,

Dichromate stain can be very effectively removed by the use of dilute
sulphuric acid 1%/2% as I reported to the list many years ago --:

So how could I get rid of this residual stain?
A number of other chemicals were tried with no effect. Then I remembered
work I had done on bromoil years before-many bromoil bleaches contain a
small amount of sulphuric acid, which had the effect of turning the gelatine
colourless before inking, and as similar chemistry is employed I decided to
give it a try. BINGO it worked the brown stain disappeared and no green
stain reappeared, however the stain did not in fact go away. On heavy
exposure a light neutral grey tone was created, but this did not pose any
problems as it just made the colours in the shadow regions slightly darker
and in effect undetectable, in normal practice."

Bromoilists seem quite happy to use the acid as part of there technique but
gum printers run scared of this powerful chemical, which is understandable
but over reactive in my opinion, after all said and done there are many
dangerous things we do every day and don't turn a hair. For instance driving
a car cooking your dinner, consuming vast quantites of toxic food and drink
etc etc in my case beer ;--<

I have been trying out a 5% sol of sod hydroxide recently which seems to be
a viable alternative. Whilst this chemical must to be used with care we do
often clean our toilets/restrooms/WC's with it in the commercial form of
domestos,oakite and other brand names.
It is early days yet but it seems to work.

Pete

http://www.alternativephotography.com/peter_fredrick.html

Ps Drain clear also contains a form of weak sulphuric acid I have cleared my
prints with this when I have run out of the hard stuff.