Re: Old Fabriano.

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/08/03-09:27:39 PM Z

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Agustin wrote:

> Thanks Judy for the advice.
> Didnīt know that the sun could bleach yellowed paper!.
> Thanks a lot.

Actually, I don't *know* that it can, but I know that old wives used to
put their linens out in the sun to bleach, and paper is rag... so, it
seems like a good bet.

But now that I think of it -- did you say what kind of fabriano it is?
there are some that aren't rag.... "student grade",, Fab 4 & 5 (I
believe), but anyway & at the same time, maybe put a piece of that paper
in water and leave it to soak for a day (which you want to do anyway if
you're shrinking for gum). We don't know what the yellowing is from (pH
neutral rag is not *supposed* to yellow) -- maybe some kind of outgassing
in the container it was stored in. Anyway, a good soak clears yellow in
gelatin from glyoxal -- so who knows?

J.