Re: Old Fabriano.

From: Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Date: 03/08/03-10:18:40 PM Z

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Judy Seigel wrote:

> Actually, I don't *know* that it can, but I know that old wives used to
> put their linens out in the sun to bleach, and paper is rag... so, it
> seems like a good bet.

Yes, you can bleach paper using sunlight. Lots of research has been
done on paper bleaching for applications in book and paper
conservation; including light bleaching. If you do an Internet search
using the following terms you should find a fair amount of information
on bleaching paper: conservation, treatment, bleaching, paper.

See for example:

Kruth, Leslie M. "Paper Conservation Update: Bleaching and Fumigation."
Abbey Newsletter, v13:05 (1989 Sept.)

which is available online here:
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/abbey/an/an13/an13-5/an13-516.html

-greg schmitz