Re: vernis soehnee

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/08/03-10:13:02 PM Z

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

Oh my gosh ---

My Kremer catalog lists "genuine pieces' of Polish amber, $13.50 for 11 g,
tho I doubt this is that amber... Even if, I think mixing chloroform and
ether would be -- uh oh, bring out the safety police -- probably WORSE
than aqua regia !!! But I'm sure you sent that just for fun, I'm sure...

The vernis soehnee sounds about like Demachy's description -- we figured
it was some form of shellac. Maybe the method of mixing here described is
important... My mix didn't do on modern gelatin sized paper what he said.
However and anyway, presumably we have here the holy grail at last....
(does anyone know what the holy grail was supposed to do?) And we can
probably not quite fully fathom the exciting life of early photographers.
(Have you read Cyanide and Spirits?)

Meanwhile, thanks Chris. you are a genius. I'll let you know what happens.

Judy