Re: Kallitypes again

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/10/03-02:14:38 AM Z

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Sandy King wrote:

> Judy Seigel wrote;
>

> >And finally... I strongly recommend against changing more than one
> >variable at a time...
> >
> >Judy
>

> Until quite recently I thought that way myself. But Wayde Allen,and
> some other sharp scientific types on the carbon list, have provided
> demonstrable evidence that the one variable approach is very limiting
> and quite unscientific.

I've had this argument with Wayde already, and find that couched this
broadly it substitutes doctrine for practicality. There may be
investigations in which systematic ringing of variables is fruitful. In
small bore cases it can be going to Peoria by way of Mars. So the term
"unscientific" is unscientifically broad -- it needs qualifying.

I think it depends on how broadly you *want* to cast the net. Not every
specific finite inquiry needs the full monte. Wayde's opinion seemed at
the time to be that it does.

J.