Re: Zimmerman process

From: Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 03/12/03-02:56:09 PM Z

Pete,

Could be. Could be!

I've had a glimmer of a thought about this but never really paid a lot of
attention but now that you also bring it up, it is starting to sound better.

I used to spend Saturday's at the UCLA Research Library reading and
skimming through bound sets of 19th Century photography journals and
magazines.

Somewhere back in my old brain cells is a memory trace of a reference to
using plain water color pigment and dichromate to make gum prints and I
believe it was by reference to Zimmermann. Water color pigments in tubes
used to use -- and some still do -- gum Arabic as a binder. Enough in
there to make gum prints. Now that I am hearing about Zimmermann successes
I believe my failure in early 70's was that I did not take him at his word
and use too much gum. This even though I had reduced the amount of gum I
had been using by 80% or more and proceeded to use the blotters. It was hot
summer in Elay and as I recall it was bit peasy in 'ere and my blotters
grew mold

I do recall seeing comments about how amazing his prints were.

I should have posted this rhyming Cockney but then I'd have lost you.<grin>

--Dick