Re: Zimmerman process

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 03/15/03-06:59:56 PM Z

John,
     As best as I can tell, he does not mention sizing. I just brushed thru
the paper again to see where it is mentioned. He mentions papers, but no
sizing. Then under Japanese paper, he talks about the fact that it is
unsized so you might have to "use *the* arrowroot sizing"....but it seems he
is not sizing his paper except the ones that come unsized, such as this thin
Japanese tissue. Unless he mentions arrowroot sizing somewhere else.
     I have to correct one thing I said from the article: he does not, it
appears, let the colors dry when he "paints by number", but just crudely
paints the colors on (influenced by the impressionists who put dots of
colors side by side to get more brilliant colors) and then coats it with the
clear gum/sensitizer mix. Of course, this is moot, because by the time you
paint the colors on and then get ready to sensitize, the minor amount of
water in the watercolor will probably be mostly sunk in and dried anyway.
     He also does two methods of this: one is an "ecru" first coat, mixing
3 pigments together to achieve a neutral tint (why bother--we have neutral,
or paynes or whatever) and then uses that sensitized for his base print to
watercolor, or uses unpigmented dichromate.
     Chris