Re: Gum printing, staining, pigment stain

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/19/03-11:58:27 PM Z

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
> Soak the paper in a 10% pot di solution and dry. This keeps
> indefinitely. When ready to use, coat with your gum/pigment mixture.

Chris, I doubt that 10% (or even 5) keeps INDEFINITELY.... but that's not
why I'm writing...

> But it is POSSIBLE that the dark reaction could harden the gum and create
> less staining underneath the pigmented layer. I would have to (again) test
> side by side sensitized paper with just pot di and sensitized paper with pot
> di mixed with gum.
> But what I did do, too, was rubbed powdered pigment on top of the
> presensitized paper and that stuck in proportion to the exposure, so that is
> another sort of "dusting on" possibility to experiment with. So many tests,
> so little time....and excuse my lack of clarity in writing--I am rushing out
> the door.

You do a fine thing for the sum total of list knowledge with these tests,
but Chris, I shudder as I read... DICHROMATE IS EXTREMELY ALLERGENIC.
You are rubbing, or scrubbing, or whatever... If you or whoever want a
long career as gum printer handle the dichromate not at all and mess with
it as little as possible. Of course it may never bother you... but why
tempt fate? Every extra handling or coating doubles or trebles the
exposure... not to mention multiplying the variables...

J.