Re: Van Dyke process permanence

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 03/21/03-03:39:38 PM Z

Van Dyke prints should have very good permanence if processed
correctly. I have some test prints that have been exposed to outdoor
light for over a year and show no sign at all of fading or yellowing.
My procedure is as follows.

1. Initial wash for a couple of minutes in running water. The water
for this wash should be neutral or slightly acidic.

2. Tone with gold, palladium or platinum. Toning is very important
for long-term permanence.

3. Wash for one minute.

4. Fix in two separate fixing baths for two minutes each. The second
bath is always fresh.

5. Wash for one minute.

6. Soak in a fresh solution of 1% sodium sulfite for two minutes.

7. Wash for 20-30 minutes.

With this procedure there is virtually no loss of image density in
the fixing bath so it is not necessary to overprint.

Sandy King