Re: Pyro Developers

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 05/18/03-04:38:47 PM Z

1) PMK Method of processing: no presoak. 1A:2B:100. regular water. mix
developer and use immediately. dump dev quickly, water stop bath for 1 min
constant agitation, non hardening fix (rapid) for 5 minutes, no pyro
afterbath after Bob Herbst's APIS talk, and then 20 minute water rinse with
no hypoclear, photo flo and hang to dry.
2) Dev temp and ag: whatever I get, using +/- 4% time for each degree
under/over 70, 30 sec continual agitation and two major inversion/shakes
every 15 sec for the remainder of the time. I actually tend to walk around
the darkroom doing other stuff with cannister in hand.
3) Time for N: I follow all the times Hutchings lays out, except a
couple...HIE and Delta 3200 I think I deviate. Frankly, I follow Hutchings,
Ed Buffaloe's times, and the Massive Dev chart, too. Don Bryant's time for
HIE. (12 1/2 at 77). If I don't know a time I use 9 for 25-50 ISO, 10 for
100-125, and 13 for 400 at 70 for my first test.
4) Process: BW printing, but then I enlarge the negs (6x7 and some 35mm)
onto large sheet film for all alt processes. I do use filters with my BW
printing always, but always start with a 2 on VC paper. If I have done my
job correctly, my negs print normally with the 2 without a lot of fuss. I
rarely use under a 2 or over a 31/2. Forte Polywarmtone Elegance VC fiber,
also Bergger Chaud Brilliant and Ilford Warmtone and MGIV. OH, condenser
enlarger, 11x14 prints usually. All film types--with films I'm very
promiscuous, with papers I rarely stray from Forte or Bergger.
Chris