Re: Gold toners and Kallitype

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 05/19/03-09:02:23 AM Z

Cor,

The kallitype article is now up on Unblinking Eye. The direct link to
the article is
http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Kallitype/kallitype.html

There is another gold toning formula in the article that has slightly
different working characteristics than the one based on citric acid.

Perhaps someone else can comment on Reilly's remarks about acidic
gold toners. I am aware of a need to print slightly deeper when
using gold toner than when using platinum or palladium toners. As I
note in the article, with gold toners "image contrast is increased by
about a step through loss of density in the high values, but Dmax
values (shadows) are changed little if at all." With one recent image
I needed an exposure of 250 units with a gold-toned print to get the
same final density as 230 with a palladium-toned print.

However, even with the acidic gold toner the maximum density of the
gold-toned kallitypes I have made is as high as those toned with
palladium and platinum toning. On Stonehenge paper the reflective
reading of both is around 1.52. Those who print on art papers such as
Stonehenge with either kallitype or Pt/Pd will recognize that this is
a very high maximum density and about the maximum achievable with
either process.

Sandy