Re: please help for identifying a lens

From: Philip willarney (pwillarney@yahoo.com)
Date: 05/30/03-03:42:44 PM Z

--- curzon@tegenlicht.com wrote:

> I bought an old lens with the idea to build me a
> large format camera.

I'd suggest an easy way to figure out if the lens is
worth building a camera for: build a quick test
"camera."

Find two cardboard boxes that nest inside each other,
so you can slide a box to focus. cut a hole in one
and tape the lens into it; cut a square hole in the
other side of the other box, and tape wax paper, thin
frosted plastic, or something like that to form the
image on.

 -----------
 | --------------
 | |
 | |
 | |
 |wax -----
 |paper lens|
 | -----
 | |
 | |
 | |
 | --------------
 ----------

Take the thing outside, throw a towel over your head,
and slide the boxes to get a focus. See how the image
looks: how big is it, how fuzzy it is at the edges,
etc. This isn't precision testing by any means, but
it will show you if the lens only gives an image
circle of 3", and it'll give you a feeling for what
the image the lens forms looks like.

Of course, remember that I'm someone who taped two
plastic lenses back to back and stuck them in an old
shutter to get that "diana" look for my 4x5 speed
graphic...

If you do decide to build a camera, check out the
cameramakers list:

-- pw