Re: Liver of sulfur?

From: John ^lt;ap@darkroompro.com>
Date: 11/01/03-10:39:28 PM Z

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 22:40:18 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

> Polysulfide and liver of sulfur are
> different mixtures and they are not interchangeable. Polysulfide does
> not contain carbonate. Liver of sulfur does.

        I believe that this is the fault of the industry. Also I believe that you
are talking about sodium polysulfide are you not ?

sodium polysulfide
IUPAC: sodium polysulfide
CAS: sodium sulfide (Na2(Sx))
Reg. No.: 1344-08-7
Formula: Na2Sx

"An inorganic polymer occuring as a yellow-brown, granular, combustible
solid. Sodium polysulfide is used in the production of sulfur dyes and
insecticides, and as a petroleum additive."

        Also note

>From : http://www.books.md/

Liver of sulfur

"A mixture composed chiefly of potassium polysulfides and potassium
thiosulfate; used externally in scabies, acne, and psoriasis; used in the
manufacture of "white lotion". "

--
Regards,
	John S. Douglas, Photographer