Re: Mr. Suzuki's posts

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 11/03/03-11:27:38 PM Z

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, jfulton wrote:

> Hey, whoa, this is getting out of hand and you all know it's better to have
> one in the hand rather than two in the bush. Ryuji has posted informative
> info. Those of us who're adults oughta be able to 'filter' what is needed.

Frankly, Jack, I think you're wrong here. Invariably, when someone dares
disagree with Ryuji they get a verbal whipping... and soon stop
disagreeing. Even, I am told, have left the list. Thus by default we
must now assume all his pronouncements correct... or are let stand by
"adults" who don't want to be abused. But for all the razzle dazzle of his
specialty knowledge, I become dubious about ANYTHING from someone who can
misread my own simple statements in reasonably plain English as grossly as
he has.

And do not kid yourself that only "children" are angry. Perhaps fearing
Suzuki's wrath, or even yours, a lot of strong feelings with accompanying
adjectives & nouns have been expressed to me, and I understand, to others
offlist.... Besides the information, we're also here for pleasure. This
spoils the pleasure for many (tho possibly not for sadists).

Which is to say, to criticize those who object and tell them to, as it
were, "grow up," does the list AND information no service. Meanwhile, I
myself am not inclined to filter out reversal of my meaning, dismissal and
scorn for my corrections, and insults for my protests. As, for instance,
today:

"... thank you very much for telling me that this list was your
friends club not a place to exchange information. Had I known it
better that anything other than what's plesant to your ear is
considered rudeness, I could do things in a different way..."

What about my protest said that "this list was my friends' club " I have
no idea, nor did the surrounding comments suggest that... "Exchange of
information" obviously, but information couched in insults is much less
effective than if delivered civilly, although indeed some parents adopt
that tone with children, and one does find echoes of this in Ryuki's words
and tone. Whatever the first cause, I think this nastiness qualifies as
unacceptable under the rules of the list (we are NOT his children) and
defending it is not constructive.

I believe you err equally in glossing over this warning:

"On the slvergrain list, his percieved attitude has virtually shut down
all posting. There were four posts there last month, two of them from Mr.
Suzuki himself."

On the bright side, Ryuji did say he "could do it in a different way."
Let me suggest you encourage that, rather than chide the folks observing
the need.

cheers,

Judy