Re: Mr. Suzuki's posts

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 11/04/03-06:17:09 AM Z

Good morning, list!

Oh, man do I have to step in here. Hopefully I won't regret it--nobody give
me a whoopin'.

If you have noticed (some of you probably gladly), I have not been too vocal
on the list lately. It is specifically because info I shared on gum was
continually being criticized. And it wasn't by Ryuji.

I can handle criticism, especially being told I'm incorrect if I am. I
cannot handle condescension, ridicule, patronizing, and sarcasm. At that
point, the amount of time it takes to communicate info to the list does not
outweigh the benefit. Seeing as we have proven there is no "one right way"
in gum and most gum practice is "IME", why anyone assumes that their way is
the one right way is illogical and erroneous. However, maybe chemistry is a
little more of an exact science or you blow yourself up, so I don't comment
on that area by this statement.

So as I usually do, I take the middle road here: Ryuji, tone it down, and
remove the condescension--your knowlege base is an asset to the list, one
too valuable to be wasted on intellectual superiority. And we don't want
to shut up the other chemists on the list that also have that incredible
knowlege base that has helped me thru some pickles in the last 4 years on
this list. I agree, too, that you should speak in layman's terms more so us
lowly ones can understand. Others on this list, look to yourselves and
your own posts lest you too, don't fall into the same pitfall. I'll be
happy to point it out when it occurs, if you want me to become the new
harmonious listminder (the latter statement is a JOKE).

You know what my honest opinion is (oh, Gordy, don't kick me off for saying
this)? When a list quarrel erupts, it is because people are not busy
creating and happy about doing so--sorta like people who aren't "gettin'
any". If you feel like arguing, go into your darkroom and do something
instead. I mean, PRINT.

That's my motherly lecture for this AM. Back to my solarplates.
Chris
PS no one be jealous or anything, but I get to see a carbon demo by Sandy
King himself this fri am...oh, the benefits of grad school...