Re: Photogravure question

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 11/03/03-08:08:29 PM Z

Photopolymer gravure is an intaglio process; the ink rests in the grooves
and prints onto the paper in a slight embossed fashion.

You use a positive to do intaglio. You can also use a negative to do
relief. With relief you also want to use a thicker plate. The plates come
in varying thicknesses.

Where the dark of the positive/negative is, there is less exposure and the
polymer dissolves off to varying degrees in water with a brush. I don't know
what the photo sensitive stuff in it is.. Actually, in truth, the plate
starts out as a monomer and gets turned into a polymer with exposure to the
sun.

You don't have to use any chemicals--just water and sun.

However, the plate maybe won't do as many pulls (prints) as other metal
plate processes that are more durable--maybe 40-80 pulls, Dan (below) says,
on an intaglio, more for a relief.

A good book on the subject is Dan Welden's Printmaking in the Sun,
everything you'd ever want to know. Another is Non-Toxic Intaglio
Printmaking.

Can you tell I'm studying Printmaking in grad school? I've got 10
photopolymer plates sitting by my UV unit right now.
Chris