Re: The politics of Gum

From: Gordon J. Holtslander ^lt;holtsg@duke.usask.ca>
Date: 11/07/03-09:40:28 PM Z

The acacia species of Australia (~500 of them) are supposed to be very
different from the acacia species of Africa and central America. So much
so that some plant taxonmists want to reclassify them.

http://users.lycaeum.org/~mulga/acacia/taxon.html

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Kate Mahoney wrote:

> Greg said:
> >I knew there might be a way to get politics legitimately on to the
> > alt-photo list :*)........I did a Google search and came up with this
> story from 1999.
> >
> The article suggests (by inference only of course) that this may be why gum
> quality is changing - contracts have ended and alternate sources are being
> used.
>
> BTW, the "gum" trees in Australia are not acacia, but eucalyptus - a
> completely different species. In fact I don't know if they even exude a gum!
> The leaves and bark are a very good substantive dye for natural protein
> fibres though.The native acacia trees are the "wattle", a typical acacia
> with yellow fluffy flowers that grow to about 5m high.
>
> Kate

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2