Re: The politics of Gum

From: Kate Mahoney ^lt;kateb@paradise.net.nz>
Date: 11/07/03-01:08:12 PM Z

 Greg said:
>I knew there might be a way to get politics legitimately on to the
> alt-photo list :*)........I did a Google search and came up with this
story from 1999.

The article suggests (by inference only of course) that this may be why gum
quality is changing - contracts have ended and alternate sources are being
used.

BTW, the "gum" trees in Australia are not acacia, but eucalyptus - a
completely different species. In fact I don't know if they even exude a gum!
The leaves and bark are a very good substantive dye for natural protein
fibres though.The native acacia trees are the "wattle", a typical acacia
with yellow fluffy flowers that grow to about 5m high.

Kate