RE: My first VanDykes & questions

From: Loris Medici ^lt;lorism@tnn.net>
Date: 11/13/03-01:06:15 AM Z

Hi Don, Judy, Richard and Sandy...

I used very contrasty negatives (on lith film) which I produced using
Lawless' method and the results improved incredibly. The main problem
was the contrast of the negatives I understand - but I'm still not much
impressed with dMax (when I scan in a calibrated scanner, the leftmost
part of the histogram starts from around 18 - 24 on a 0 - 255 scale).

So, I decided to:

a) Try different papers (all smooth papers I can find - does acrylic
and/or pastel paper work for alt process prints?) as you suggest.

b) Mix a new batch of sensitizer (I don't think this will change
anything but I will do it anyway; just to be at ease).

c) Use continuous tone lith negatives from now on - the quality
difference popped my eyes! I must improve my technique (I've made just a
couple of enlarged negatives on lith - just to see it if it works, if I
can do it...)

Below you may find links to the prints I've made using lith negatives.
The negatives are far from being perfect, just test negatives as I
stated above... the most contrasty one - the one with the children - was
accidentally exposed by the back!!! that's why there's considerable lack
of detail in highlights; a total rookie mistake. Anyway, even using
faulty negatives quality improved considerably - I'm a lith negative man
from now on!

http://abone.tnn.net/lorism/vandyke-lithneg-01.jpg
http://abone.tnn.net/lorism/vandyke-lithneg-02.jpg

Regards,