Re: My first VanDykes & questions

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 11/12/03-09:48:12 PM Z

Richard Urmonas,

>I think you may have a problem. VDB does need a more contrasty negative than
>cyanotype, but it is not particularly high. I think I could print a
>VDB negative
>on silver gelatine grade 0, but have not tried. Dmax should be good
>with a single
>coat.

Richard,

You must have something very unusual in your VDB mix. I have mixed
the stuff with many different batches of chemistry from several
sources and it has always given me a paper that needs a very high
contrast negative, upwards of log 1.9. There is absolutely no way I
would be able to print a negative with VDB that prints well on a
silver paper. At least not if the goal was to print both ends of the
scale.

Sandy King