RE: My first VanDykes & questions

From: Richard Urmonas ^lt;rurmonas@tpg.com.au>
Date: 11/14/03-03:21:51 AM Z

Quoting Loris Medici <lorism@tnn.net>:

> I used very contrasty negatives (on lith film) which I produced using
> Lawless' method and the results improved incredibly. The main problem
> was the contrast of the negatives I understand - but I'm still not much
> impressed with dMax (when I scan in a calibrated scanner, the leftmost
> part of the histogram starts from around 18 - 24 on a 0 - 255 scale).
>
> So, I decided to:
>
> a) Try different papers (all smooth papers I can find - does acrylic
> and/or pastel paper work for alt process prints?) as you suggest.
>
> b) Mix a new batch of sensitizer (I don't think this will change
> anything but I will do it anyway; just to be at ease).
>
> c) Use continuous tone lith negatives from now on - the quality
> difference popped my eyes! I must improve my technique (I've made just a
> couple of enlarged negatives on lith - just to see it if it works, if I
> can do it...)
>
> Below you may find links to the prints I've made using lith negatives.
> The negatives are far from being perfect, just test negatives as I
> stated above... the most contrasty one - the one with the children - was
> accidentally exposed by the back!!! that's why there's considerable lack
> of detail in highlights; a total rookie mistake. Anyway, even using
> faulty negatives quality improved considerably - I'm a lith negative man
> from now on!
>
> http://abone.tnn.net/lorism/vandyke-lithneg-01.jpg
> http://abone.tnn.net/lorism/vandyke-lithneg-02.jpg

Loris,

I checked my early paper tests with VDB. The most common problem appears
to be stained highlights. The scans you provide appear to have clear highlights,
but scans are not always accurate in this respect.
I would also not trust the scanner as a method of measuring Dmax.

Richard

--
Richard Urmonas