Re: When to tone?

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 11/13/03-02:40:49 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sandy King" <sanking@clemson.edu>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 9:13 PM
Subject: Re: When to tone?

> Are any of these papers available on the web?
>
> Sandy King
>

> >Reilly, J. M., Nishimura, D. W., Cupriks, K. M., and
Adelstein,
> >P. Z. 1991. Sulfiding for Protection for Silver Images.
Final Report
> >to the Office of Preservation National Endowment for the
Humanities,
> >Image Permanence Institute, Rochester Instute of
Technology.

> >Crabtree, J. I., Eaton, G. T., and Muehler, L. E. 1944. A
review of
> >hypo testing methods, J. Soc. Motion Picture Engrs., 42,
34--57.

> >Silver nitrate test for paper prints was adapted for film
materials
> >and made more reliable by addressing a number of issues
by Mattey et
> >al. and further simplified by Pope.
> >
> >Mattey, D. A. and Henn, R. W. 1966. Determination of
thiosulfate and
> >thionates in film with silver nitrate, Photogr. Sci.
Engr., 10,
> >202--8.
> >
> >Pope, C. I. 1969. A simplified method for determining
residual
> >thiosulfate in processed microfilm, Photogr. Sci. Engr.,
13, 278--9.

  AFAIK none are. The IPI paper, as Ryuji pointed out is
available from IPI, see their web site.
  The Journal of the Society of Motion Picture and
Television Engineers is fairly easy to find in libraries
although older ones may be in storage. I should know the
date when the society changed its name from the Society of
Motion Picture Engineers to include Television, but don't
remember exactly, early 1950's I think. The original
publication was the Transactions, a quarterly published from
1915 until 1930 when it became the monthly "Journal".
Transactions of the SMPE are very hard to find.
  Photographic Science and Engineering has been a bane to
me, very hard to find. The Los Angeles City library has it
but its among the many journals damaged in a massive fire
some years ago. The ones I want tend to be missing or crispy
critters which won't stand Xeroxing.
  I think what's needed is for some enterprizing fellow
(sounds better than sucker) to put this stuff on a web site.
Moi would volunteer except that at this point I haven't a
scanner or Adobe distiller (although I am sure I could get
use of both) and most of all lack the time to track down
sources and get GOOD clean copies.
  There are many classic papers which IMHO should be made
more available than they are. For instance, Loyd A. Jones
monumental work on film speed and photographic tonal
reproduction. Jones devised Kodak's original speed measuring
method and most of the data on which they probably based
their choices of film and paper curves.
  I don't think copyrights would be much of a problem. Most
of these papers were published by Kodak or by the U.S.
Bureau of Standards (now NIST). Plus, I suspect that the
publishing of these on the web on a no cost basis for
educational and historical research purposes would fall into
the fair use catagory.
  I've tracked down many of the papers frequently cited in
technical and scientific books on photogrpahy because I
wanted more complete information and I learned long ago to
get as close to the original source as possible. Ryuji
refered once to "cutting and pasting" in old books, this is
right on the nose. Often it seems that citations were never
read or if read not understood. Often, one finds the same
references cited as saying something they do not, probably
because the author of one book was simply copying something
he saw in an older book. There are also misquotes and,
perhaps worst of all, the stating of a special case as
though it were a general case. I ran into this a long time
ago when researching some aspects of sound recording and
reprodutction. Some citations to work in the Bell Labs
Journal turned out to be quoting a special case as a general
case because the original authors concentrated on it. The
general case might have been beyond tractible calculation at
a time before electronic computers so many simplifying
assumptions were made to get some result. The conclusions
are usualy clearly stated as being a limited case in the
originals but not carried over that way to later citation.
The ability of the ear to hear phase distortion in
recordings is an example. Many authors in the 1950s and
1960s claimed Bell Labs research had shown it was not. The
work cited was a paper by Sally Pero Mead. What she really
said was that phase distortion did not affect speech
intellibility in voice grade telephone systems, a far cry
from high fidelity audio.
  No doubt such gaffs are also frequent in other fields and
certainly are in photography. So, creating a reasonably
accessible resource for original research and technical
papers seems to me to be a very valuable enterprise.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com