RE: When to tone?

From: Joe Smigiel ^lt;jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
Date: 11/13/03-08:53:30 AM Z

Sandy/Eric

Although I've never kept careful notes, my impression is that toning a
print in Kodak RST immediately after fixing (w/o rinsing or washing
before RST) tends to facilitate split-toning and imparts the redder
color in the shadows to which Eric refers, at least with warm-tone
papers. Rinsing/washing/drying/using Hypo Clearing Agents before or in
the toner, etc., all seem to make toning progress more evenly and
subtly. Again, these are just casual observations. Using the toner in
this manner also seems to shorten its life and tends to precipitate
metal (silver selenide?) into the solution, but I like the effect on the
print much better.

Joe

>>> e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net 11/13/03 12:17 AM >>>
As others have mentioned, I tone most prints after a good wash a dry,
after
drying and with prints grouped together. I have seen color shifts in
selenium toned prints, but it seems to mostly be due to incomplete
washing.
A bit more red appears in those prints.

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street