Re: When to tone?

From: mmatusz@pdq.net
Date: 11/13/03-08:58:29 AM Z

Kate,
I had the same problem with a home made liquid emulsion. As best as I
could tell this relates to incomplete washing of thiosulfate. Brown stain
was always stronger when the emulsion was thicker. I ended up washing
prints for a very long time before toning. Perhaps the use of a basic
fixer (like photographers formulary TF4) instead of standard fixer would
help. I would also try Mr. Suzuki's suggestion of a basic wash (sodium
carbonate solution) after fixing. I know the pain, a perfectly good print
goes into the toning bath and comes out a disaster.

Marek