Re: When to tone?

From: Kate Mahoney ^lt;kateb@paradise.net.nz>
Date: 11/21/03-03:12:39 PM Z

Did I say "never"???? I was completely unable to buy any emulsion with my
degree asessment coming up, and my key print overexposed in a moment of
stress misjudgement....so I decided to sepia tone it as I knew that
bleaching back for sepia would take the density back a bit....so I bravely
dumped it in the bleach, watched it until it was about a stop UNDEr exposed,
then washed it thoroughly and put it into the sepia....result....a beautiful
colour tone between brown and purple - most unsepia like, and the key print
the most successful of the lot!!! I did have a backup print btw, but the
composition wasn't quite as good. I should know never to say never by
now.....btw this toning was done about 2 weeks after I made the print.

I think some of the problems I was having in the earlier post relate to my
having to soak the paper off boards before processing - perhaps any
chemicals applied to the emulsion would necessarily be diluted by water it
had already absorbed? I also wonder about the possibility of the water
acting as a barrier to the emulsion taking up the chemical..

Kate Mahoney