Re: My first VanDykes & questions

From: Richard Urmonas ^lt;rurmonas@tpg.com.au>
Date: 11/14/03-03:10:25 AM Z

Quoting Sandy King <sanking@clemson.edu>:

> Richard,
>
> You must have something very unusual in your VDB mix. I have mixed
> the stuff with many different batches of chemistry from several
> sources and it has always given me a paper that needs a very high
> contrast negative, upwards of log 1.9. There is absolutely no way I
> would be able to print a negative with VDB that prints well on a
> silver paper. At least not if the goal was to print both ends of the
> scale.

Sandy,

Using a step wedge I measure a negative density range of 1.9 to 2.1
depending on paper. My preferred paper is at the 1.9 end. Due to the
compressed shadow end of the print scale, I find that a negative of 1.9
density range tends to print dark. I get better results with a 1.8 negative
with the loss of a small amount of density in the shadows, but a better
overall image. Note this is with camera original negatives, if I was
using digital negatives I could compensate for the compressed shadows.

Looking at the Agfa datasheet for Multicontrast Classic (their fibre paper),
the curve for a 0 filter has about 1.8 exposure range. So a bit of
dodge or burn and it should be possible to get a print.

Richard

--
Richard Urmonas