Re: When to tone (or, how quickly they forget)

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 11/14/03-01:20:30 AM Z

From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: When to tone (or, how quickly they forget)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:44:43 -0800

> For a toner discussion perhaps this should be chopped
> liver of sulphur...

Liver of sulfur is usually supplied in chopped form... they look like
thick sheet of liver of sulfur is broken into pieces of size of
soybean. The smell is more like chopped and overcooked cow kidney,
nothing like the delicious aroma of calf liver.

By the way Richard, the formulae you posted to pure-silver for
selenium-polysulfide combination toners seem to fail with currently
sold KBT and KRST. The working solution make vivid orange color
(almost like a cadmium based pigment) within a few minutes of mixing
and toning, and the toning becomes way too vigorous and stain the
print, both coated side and the back. Image hue becomes red-brown with
Fortezo, a bit colder hue with neutral tone papers, and the stain is
red. I'm not sure why this happens. I'm trying to make something
comparable to OLD Viradon from scratch to see if it works. I always
wondered why both AGFA and EKC ceased production of combination toners
at abotu the same time, but ... I hope it has nothing to do with
change in industrially supplied LoS... (Since selenium powder is very
pure and not as variable as LoS.)

Ryuji