Re: When to tone (or, how quickly they forget)

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 11/14/03-01:40:14 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryuji Suzuki" <rs@silvergrain.org>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 11:20 PM
Subject: Re: When to tone (or, how quickly they forget)

> From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
> Subject: Re: When to tone (or, how quickly they forget)
> Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:44:43 -0800
>
> > For a toner discussion perhaps this should be chopped
> > liver of sulphur...
>
> Liver of sulfur is usually supplied in chopped form...
they look like
> thick sheet of liver of sulfur is broken into pieces of
size of
> soybean. The smell is more like chopped and overcooked cow
kidney,
> nothing like the delicious aroma of calf liver.
>
> By the way Richard, the formulae you posted to pure-silver
for
> selenium-polysulfide combination toners seem to fail with
currently
> sold KBT and KRST. The working solution make vivid orange
color
> (almost like a cadmium based pigment) within a few minutes
of mixing
> and toning, and the toning becomes way too vigorous and
stain the
> print, both coated side and the back. Image hue becomes
red-brown with
> Fortezo, a bit colder hue with neutral tone papers, and
the stain is
> red. I'm not sure why this happens. I'm trying to make
something
> comparable to OLD Viradon from scratch to see if it works.
I always
> wondered why both AGFA and EKC ceased production of
combination toners
> at abotu the same time, but ... I hope it has nothing to
do with
> change in industrially supplied LoS... (Since selenium
powder is very
> pure and not as variable as LoS.)
>
> Ryuji

  I am sorry to hear this. I wonder what the problem is.
  It is interesting that both Kodak and Agfa dropped
combination toners at about the same time. There doesn't
seem to be an envronmental problem, perhaps its some change
in one of the ingredients as you say.
  Which formula did you try? Kodak published two for working
strength solutions. The other one, with the carbonate in it,
is a concentrate and from another source. Did both fail?.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com