RE: types of casein

From: Keith Gerling ^lt;keith@gumphoto.com>
Date: 11/17/03-01:20:16 PM Z

>PPS. Did you find a good colloid for coating glass? How about hard
>gelatin ??? I know some folks do use that, tho it's NEVER easy.

>Judy

I really got caught up in trying all sorts of techniques, from Silane to
acid washing. Gum on glass presents challenges. First, one has to get the
emulsion to stick (tricky). Then, one has to develop the piece without
having the whole picture wash away (tricky). When tricky-squared is
thwarted, you have a rather interesting work (and little danger of one Gum
Nemesis: staining). Eventually, I became rather fond of a process that
used a mixture of various colloids. The work looked very appealing. Then,
a month later the emulsion flaked off and blew away! So I started
introducing sugars, glycerin, other stuff. Eventually I realized I was in
the throes of a major obsession, and gave it up. (although one technique,
which involves baking on an emulsion of pigment and colloid with delayed
sensitizing, will receive some attention in the future)

Keith