Re: Re:Tri Color Gum article—Sam Wang

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 11/18/03-05:38:49 AM Z

I've been lurking on the list the past few days because I was intending
to post something more about the Formulary gum matter, but decided to
wait for a shipment from Formulary and test its contents before saying
anything further.

But while waiting, I've been reminded that once in a while there is
actually something that crosses this list that's worth being here for.
I'm so glad I was here to catch this post and see Sam's article and
images. All I can say to both is, "Amen" and thanks.

My method of generating digital color separations is essentially the
same as Sam's (except that his curves are no doubt more sophisticated
than mine). When in the past I've described my method on the list, it
has been so roundly opposed that I've become defensive and apologetic
when I've felt compelled to speak about it, such as when someone
recently asked me directly why I don't do CMYK separations. So it's
reassuring, heartening and refreshing to see that someone I greatly
admire in gum printing takes the same approach to color separations and
isn't afraid to say so without apology. Thanks again,

Katharine Thayer