Re: extremely off topic-Xrays

From: Gumprint@aol.com
Date: 11/19/03-09:27:16 PM Z

In a message dated 11/19/2003 10:19:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jseigel@panix.com writes:

> out 12 years ago I had a skull xray in a doctor's office, was having
> some kind of sinus trouble &the angle taken was one I'd never seen. The
> skull looked quite eerie (also small, if you could believe) but I loved
> the image and asked for it to use as negative. The doctor (whom I'd never
> seen before or since) refused on some pretext or other, and at the time I
> was too sick to make an issue of it. Later I had other interests &so
> never pursued the matter. I mention now as the topic arises, the moral
> perhaps being, if you want your xray get it when you're feeling good.

Where I live (greater Metro D.C.) the XRays are the property of the physician
who orders it, despite it being of you. The reason is malpractice. The
physician has to keep all records (including images) pertaining to you in case
something is found down the road and he/she gets sued for now finding it. The
records are critical for his defense. However, there is no reason you should be
denied a copy at your cost. That said, there is a loophole. When one physician
wants another to see your films and you offer to be the carrier and promise to
return them (though some insist on immediate return directly from the next
viewer) you can take the long way back and make a dup or a few contact prints.

Just a bit 'o useless information you never know you might need.

Carole