Re: Camera for making daguerreotypes?

From: Robert W. Schramm ^lt;schrammrus@hotmail.com>
Date: 11/23/03-08:15:52 PM Z

Greg,

    I use a Toya Model 45 4x5 A metal field camera. I bought some old wood
4 x 5 plate holders from an antique camera dealer. I originally had a 150mm
f 5.6 Schneider lens but after a two year search, I finally found a 150 mm f
2.8 Schneider. This is a rare lens but those two extra stops really help. My
whole set up i.e. fuming boxes and mercury pot is set up for 4 x 5.

Best wishes,
Bob Schramm
Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com (lots of Dags)

>From: Gregory Popovitch <greg@gpy.com>
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: Camera for making daguerreotypes?
>Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:40:32 -0500
>
>I have started making daguerreotypes recently, using a
>copy stand to make copies of silver prints. These come
>out nicely, But I am itching to make daguerreotypes
>in-camera, and I want to buy a suitable view camera.
>
>However, I'm not sure which way to go. I could try to
>find an old plate camera in good condition? Are some
>models especially desirable as users... for example
>allowing movements and decent bellows extension. Or maybe
>I should get a more recent view camera like the Kodak
>Master View and adapt it to take 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 plate
>holders? Is it possible to use a modern camera like
>an 8x10 sinar? Or should I buy a new plate camera from the
>Star Camera company?
>(http://www.geocities.com/starcameracompany/)
>
>Maybe some fellow practitioners of old processes
>requiring plates (tintypes, wet-plate, etc...) can share
>the camera they are using, and the advantages/problems with it.
>Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
>
>gregory

Has one of the new viruses infected your computer? Find out with a FREE
online computer virus scan from McAfee. Take the FreeScan now!