Re: Toning cyanotypes

From: Robert W. Schramm ^lt;schrammrus@hotmail.com>
Date: 11/23/03-08:27:27 PM Z

     I believe cyanotypes have a tonal range pretty close to a platinotype.
There are those who believe that they lack permanence, but that has not been
my experience. Most of the platinotypes I have seen have brown tones, but
the ones I make are black and white. It all depends on the developer you
use.
Assuming you instructor was referring to a brown and white platinum print,
it is possible to tone a cyanotype brown using tannic acid and sodium
carbonate. I don't have the formula at my fingertips but someone on the list
may supply it. If not send me an email and I will look it up and send it to
you.

     There is also a formula which will tone the cyanotypes so that they are
black and white. I tried it at one time but I didn't care for the results.
The toned images looked grey rather than black and lost considerable
contrast.

Best wishes,

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com

>From: Perry <perry@vivalarevolution.com>
>To: alt photo <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
>Subject: Toning cyanotypes
>Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:32:04 -0800
>
>A while ago one of my teachers said he had come across a way to tone
>cyanotypes them look very similar to a palladium print. I was wondering if
>anyone knew anything about this or if perhaps someone had a list of the
>chemistry and proportions so I could try it.
>
>Thanks,
>Perry

Has one of the new viruses infected your computer? Find out with a FREE
online computer virus scan from McAfee. Take the FreeScan now!