Re: Toning cyanotypes

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 11/24/03-01:47:59 PM Z

Formula:
2-5% alkaline solution bleach (sod carb like Arm and Hammer WAshing Soda,
ammonia, sod or pot hydroxide, borax like 20 mule team at the grocery store)
and 3-5% tannic acid bath or cold tea. Strong tea gives a warmer tone than
tannic acid. Cheap tea has more tannic than expensive. Or, use steeped
black walnuts, not tea, for toning.
Tea is photosensitive; if there is a problem with archivalness it may be
that it darkens with exposure to light. Try it--leave your print half
covered out in the sun for 2 days and you'll see a change. Or, at least,
that happens when you tea tone BW regular paper, which btw, tones all
highlights and darks directly, not tonally or proportionately. It may not
happen the same with cyano since cyano will bleach in the sun and revert to
dark in the dark again.
Chris