Re: Opacity of digital negative substrates, was Re: Gum a la Sam Wang

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 11/27/03-12:39:53 AM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

>> One of the obvious problems in carrying out this kind of test with
>> gum is that you would need to be able to weigh accurately extremely
>> small amounts of dichromate. For example assuming that you took as
>> your norm 10ml of coating solution, to run tests with sensitizers in
>> the 1% to 10% range would require that you be able to measure
>> accurately from as little as 0.1g to as high as 10.0g.
>
>To put it mildly. And, as noted, no particular reason to do so. Or none
>that I can see.

Judy,

The reason should be obvious. Protection of *your* environment. The
way you work results in pollution of the environment with more
dichromate than is necessary for the application. Just do the figures
and and show me if I am wrong,

>And I seem to have lost the message where you wrote that the pictorico
>measured .15 per step on the densitometer... apparently claiming that
>that meant it was slower than the Stouffer. But isn't the Stouffer .15
>per step??? You said something about comparing by having them overlap. I
>couldn't follow that. Would you explain again-- ?

I think you have confused my original message with a subsequent reply
by Mark Nelson. I wrote that the UV density of clear Pictorico base
is about log 0.15. You can verify this by reading the base of
Pictorioc with a densitometer in UV mode, or you can test it
empirically as Mark suggested. Either way you get the same result.
The substrate of Pictorico has UV filtration of about 0.15.

Best,

Sandy