Re: neo-Pictorialism

From: Kate Mahoney (kateb@paradise.net.nz)
Date: 10/05/03-02:23:20 PM Z

> So what we have with Neo-Pictorialism and Modernism are movements
> that place greater importance on a self-referencing formalism that
> often places more value on the medium itself than what the image is
> about.

I'm not sure about this Sandy, as being in a taught Art course I'm always
being chivvied about what my work is "about"and why I am applying the
particular aesthetic I am using....I find that the emphasis is on content
rather than look or a combination of the two and the process is just a means
to an end.

For myself, and that's the only person I feel confident to speak for, I find
the process fascinating and far more expressive than "straight" photography.
It's less about embellishing a subject than investigating the expressive
possibilities.

Kate Mahoney