Re: neo-Pictorialism

From: shannon stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 10/06/03-07:08:50 AM Z

>Take a look at the work that Jerry Uelsmann was doing thirty years ago. It
>could be argued that "nearly any damn thing" can be done without photoshop.
>
>Dave in Wyoming

There's a Jerry Uelsmann show here in Houston right now, juxtaposed
with another show of some photoshop images by a woman whose name I
can't recall. The reaction of random people at the opening was
generally, "We know how the photoshop images were made (yawn), but
how did Jerry DO THAT!?!" It seemed so much more mysterious and
magical.

I think the thing about photoshop is that it makes "lying," as Clay
put it, SO much easier. Jerry Uelsmann is a master of the
manipulated image, but he has been at it for thirty years. Any fool
can learn to "lie" with photoshop in an hour or so, and lie very
convincingly in a few days.

--shannon