Re: neo-Pictorialism

From: Clay Harmon (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 10/06/03-01:51:42 PM Z

On Monday, October 6, 2003, at 02:16 PM, Pam Niedermayer wrote:

> Certainly, Photoshop makes manipulation much easier; but I fail to see
> why anyone even says anything about "lying".

I am using Texas style exaggeration to make the point. Lying may be
strong. Telling a whopper, maybe? Making it up? Creating a dense visual
fabric?
> The very fact of taking a photograph is one of selecting the view at
> hand and rejecting all others, so every photograph is very subjective.
> Even Weegee selected some shots and rejected others, thus putting his
> mark on what he and his viewers considered important. And then there's
> burning and dodging.

Sure, having been a teenager at one point, I am very aware of the
possibilities inherent in 'selectivity', particularly in describing
what was done the evening prior.

Clay