Re: Cyanotype Negative Help

From: Kris Erickson (kris.erickson@utoronto.ca)
Date: 10/10/03-10:22:13 AM Z

When I first started Cyanotype, a really good combo for me (producing
creamy results, esp in midtones and highlights) was Tri-x pan (i used
120 format), overexposed by two stops (i.e. rated 100 asa), and
overdeveloped by two stops (i.e. pushed to the 1600 dev. time--in the
HC110 dil. B developer I used, this was either 11 or 14 minutes--I can't
remember offhand; in either case, it was straight out of Anchell's "film
developer cookbook", and the back of the box). Development was precisely
what I always do it at--somewhere between 15 and 20 celsius ;-)
The resulting negative is ridiculously dense, requiring exposure times
of an hour or more in the platemaker I was using at the time (about
800-1100 units, I recall). The paper I used was a variety: unnamed
cotton rag, and Rives hp mostly.

The reasons I did it this way were a) expense (relatively cheap) and b)
to learn! I'm sure I could have tweaked a little more, but I didn't find
a need. One roll of test exposure (from four stops over to 2 stops
under, in 1/2 stop increments) determined the asa and exposure I wanted.

Good luck! Have fun,
Kris