Re: Neo-Pictorialism, sally mann

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 10/12/03-03:30:31 PM Z

I just can't help jumping in here too....

OK, Kate, Stop including banannas in all your photos and other people will
stop finding them erotic!

Just kidding.

On the other hand, I think context of culture, time, place, family &
community values, personal values and experience, composition, the laws of your
country/state etc. etc. all contribute to how people react to the photographs we are
talking about. Listmembers have talked about a variety of work by different
photographers that may in some people's minds differ in merit based on a lot
of the above.

I think it might help at times to put the words "I personally feel...." in
front of some statements regarding other people's work rather than making
pronouncements regarding the content or motivations of the photographers in
question. When someone makes a judgement call and states it in a manner as if it
were the commonly accepted position of everyone, including the gods, our Founding
Fathers, the Pope, the critics, the Three Stooges, the F-64 group, the
Pictorialists, and the United Nations, then it is difficult for me to read beyond
that and hear their argument.

With regards to "informed consent", I am not an attorney, but I do believe
that by definition, a minor (the definition of a minor may vary from state to
state) cannot give informed consent—the idea being that they are not old enough
to understand the issues. I think one of the important issues related to
this is how this is enacted in the law may vary from state to state. Be it
urban legend or not, wasn't a couple turned in to the police by Wallmart employees
a few years back for taking photographs of their newborn baby sans clothes?
Sam, did that happen in South Carolina? Anyway, I'm a little confused if
Baird/Buck are not saying essentially the same thing, sorta, maybe.

Mark Nelson

"Rush Limbaugh admitting that he has been addicted to pain killers explains
how he could listen to himself talk all these years. Hopefully he will be
treated successfully for this addiction. After all, aren't Liberals just
Conservatives who have successfully undergone treatment?"—Garrison Keillor