Re: Galina and some seperate questions about printing!!

From: Clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 10/21/03-05:04:56 AM Z

On Tuesday, October 21, 2003, at 04:47 AM, Matt Baily wrote:
\
> Anyhow isn't this a site about alternative process? I have a question:
> I have just returned home to England after a year in the US. I was
> printing my pall/plat work on Lenox while in the States, but this
> paper is unavailable in the UK. I have moved onto Platine, a paper I
> have not tried before. Am I right in thinking it cannot handle as much
> B sensitiser in the emulsion as Lenox. It seems to grain-up alot
> quicker.

Try Na2 instead. It works well without causing grain. Many good
printers have now pitched the 'B' (or #2 in B&S lingo) sensitizer in
the trash for good. There are better contrast control options with less
odious side effects.

> Also, what would be the best method to clear the paper? I cannot get
> muriatic acid (hydrochloric) over here, I have the option of citric,
> EDTA or kodak hypo clear. Any advice on this paper would be of great
> help.

I have found that citric acid or Disodium EDTA at 2% followed by two
hypoclear baths with an extra 1 tablespoon of EDTA/liter works well.
Keeping that first clearing bath slightly acidic just seems to minimize
later problems, in my experience. One thing to be careful about with
platine is not to let any sensitizer mix bleed in from the edges of the
paper if your brushing gets a little wild. If if migrates in from a cut
edge, it is nearly impossible to get it to clear.

> Second question. I have been attempting to make some albumen prints.
> The first print I made in the US (single coat, 1ply bristol, brush
> coat 12.5% silver nitrate) came out great, but I have never been able
> to repeat it. The prints seem to be very orange and the highlights
> fogged and the shadows weak (even with very very contrasty negs). If I
> leave the paper to air dry after sensitisation it turns a yellow
> color(silver albumate?). So I have blown dry on a low heat setting -
> is this bad? Is it better to just buy a hydrometer and sensitise with
> a bath - brushing seems to give poor boarder density. I have been
> using albumen from dried egg whites, what do people feel about this. I
> have made up a batch from some fresh eggs and am currently maturing
> it. I will perservere, but any advice would again be very helpful.

Sorry, I only admire albumen. Can't help you here.

Clay