Galina and some seperate questions about printing!!

From: Matt Baily (MattyBaily@netscape.net)
Date: 10/21/03-03:47:44 AM Z

Hello Everyone,

I am a newbee to this list and very supprised by this whole negative
attitude about Galina's website. Frankly, life is too short to get up
set over things like this. The web is a form of communication, like
photography is. People have for years pushed the boundries in the
photographic world, and we are all the better for it. People thought
that the combining of negatives was immoral, but Peach Robinson and
others were not dismayed. The internet and web presentation must
naturally progress. We must remember that the web has it's own syntax,
it is interactive and allows movie, pictures and animation to unite. I
feel Galina's site provides an experience that surrounds and adds to the
viewing of her images. I do not like the 'look' of every photograph I
see in the world, but it does not mean I don't respect the ideas behind
them. The same goes for websites. Would the world not be a boring place
if we liked everything equally.

Being calm and patient is a photographic virtue.

Anyhow isn't this a site about alternative process? I have a question: I
have just returned home to England after a year in the US. I was
printing my pall/plat work on Lenox while in the States, but this paper
is unavailable in the UK. I have moved onto Platine, a paper I have not
tried before. Am I right in thinking it cannot handle as much B
sensitiser in the emulsion as Lenox. It seems to grain-up alot quicker.
Also, what would be the best method to clear the paper? I cannot get
muriatic acid (hydrochloric) over here, I have the option of citric,
EDTA or kodak hypo clear. Any advice on this paper would be of great help.

Second question. I have been attempting to make some albumen prints. The
first print I made in the US (single coat, 1ply bristol, brush coat
12.5% silver nitrate) came out great, but I have never been able to
repeat it. The prints seem to be very orange and the highlights fogged
and the shadows weak (even with very very contrasty negs). If I leave
the paper to air dry after sensitisation it turns a yellow color(silver
albumate?). So I have blown dry on a low heat setting - is this bad? Is
it better to just buy a hydrometer and sensitise with a bath - brushing
seems to give poor boarder density. I have been using albumen from dried
egg whites, what do people feel about this. I have made up a batch from
some fresh eggs and am currently maturing it. I will perservere, but any
advice would again be very helpful.

Thankyou,

Matt Baily